Wednesday 5 September 2012

Wearing thongs and a flanny!


I'm not gonna lie, this blog post is going to be boring.
After accidentally skipping my week 5 blog post, I have looked back onto the topic of diaspora. A term that was derived from the Greek word meaing scattered or dispersed.. Thanks Wikipedia!
But on a more serious note, the term diaspora did specifically refer to the exile of Jews from their homeland to around the globe. This term has evolved into a definition of "members of ethnic and national communities, who have left, but maintain links with, their homelands." (International Organization for Migration) This theory conveys the notion of transnational populations, migrants maintaining relationships with their homelands and an array of divided loyalites.





The question to discuss in this blog post was: How do you make culture?
This question really stumped me, I've never really thought that I influenced the world or the culture around me. Growing up living in Australia, as an Australian, with no other homeland, I felt like I didn't really fit the stereotypical "mate" who cooked a barbie and wore thongs and a flanny.  I wasn't connected to any other homeland, I didn't have a specific 'role' in life.



Do I make culture through music? No. Art? No. Politics? No. I can't say I am muscially or artistically creative in any way whatsover. I can play sport yes, but I've never felt that was making culture either.
As I kept thinking about how I make culture individually, I feel that perhaps it is through my own personal traditions. Like my strong family orientations. We spend every Easter and Christmas together no matter what. We sit down to a family dinner most nights at the dinner table and without fail I will sit down for coffee with my cousin every single Tuesday morning.

These traditions make my culture, and make me who I am.

References:
(2011) "What is meant by diaspora?"
http://www.diasporamatters.com/what-is-meant-by-diaspora/2011/

Ionescu, D. (2006) Engaging Diasporas as Development Partners for Home and Destination Countries: Challenges for Policymakers IOM Migration Research Series Paper No. 26, International Organization for Migration, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment